Sunday, May 8, 2011

Memory.

Earlier this week, I watched the movie Hot Tub Time Machine and it came into conversation with my best friend Chance (Yes, that is a name) about travelling to the past and stuff like that. I don't remember everything we talked about but one thing he said struck me, it went something like this (none-verbatim): "Even though I have the chance or I can go to the past, I wouldn't. I like my life the way it is. I don't want to change anything. And it's also the memories of everything..."

Coincidentally, I got to watch The Butterfly Effect just a few minutes ago, and, wow, I just realized there was so much to what he said.

Basically, the movie revolves around this man named Evan, who has been experiencing blackouts ever since he was a kid, and after he snaps out of it, he does not remember a thing. Later on, after rediscovering his journals that kept track of his blackouts, he found out that he could return to the duration of these blackouts and change the happenings in the future. In a seemingly imperfect life, he tries to use this ability to change the present circumstances into what he thinks is better. But over and over again, he fails to achieve the "perfection" in his life, until he loses everything he once had, one at a time. In the end, he only has one avenue to make those that he love happy, once and for all...To make himself never exist at all.

"You can't change who people are without destroying who they were."-Jacob
If we were given the chance, would we go back in time to erase every mistake we've done? To create every circumstance we never had? To bring back those we love?

It's who we are. Human. And every mistake, every loss, every thing we held onto and let go make us who we are. Whatever we did and did not, defines each one of us and gives us our lifeline.
Mind. Character. Memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...