Friday, June 17, 2011

Fear Itself

Reviewed: The Men Who Stare at Goats

"...The only thing we have to fear is fear itself..." --Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I guess I don't really know myself. I don't even know everything I'm scared of. I think I'm scared of rejection, failure, strangers (like they suddenly approach you and talk to you...or rob your house), and I'm kind of uncomfortable being with homosexuals (partly homophobic? IDK). Those are some I can think of, as of now, I guess. On the other hand, I'm not scared of creatures (Like cockroaches, and other animals). Well, that's as far as I know (and as far as I have encountered), because if I see a weird looking 'thing' and a huge-ass animal coming my way (No, not Precious) I'd totally run for my life.

Acknowledging your weaknesses defines your strength. When you accept that you are anxious about a certain thing, you accept the challenges needed to overcome it. Let go of your pride and just know that you are weak. We are ALL weak, in our own ways. That works most of the time, unless you really try to hide from your apprehensions.

The only way to overcome fear is to overcome fear. Face it.

The Men Who Stare at Goats is about failed reporter Bob Wilton (Ewan McGregor) and his undertakings in Iraqi War Situations to get a good scoop and boost his career. He stumbles upon Lyn Cassady (George Clooney) who is part of the Army's attempt to lead in the war effort through the Paranormal Methods. Mind Control, Remote viewing, telekenesis, and invisibility(?) is the New Earth Army's 'natural' methods of delivering peace and stopping the chaos in the world. Bob now finds himself involved in this 'oddity'. Through the end of his anxieties, Bob unleashes the Jedi in him through determination to overcome certain fears (and also LSD).

The movie was great, technically and storywise. The humor is also legit and doesn't seem very forced and scripted. The acting was great and casting was also well thought of. I don't know what negative comments to put in, since I really like the movie. Geekiness brought to application, if I may say, is what the movie takes a grip on me. Star Wars and cultural references (and Boston, man that band rocks)...WIN.

"Whatever you fear the most has no power over you. It is the fear that has the power."
--Lyn Cassady

Back to what I was saying, we only have two options. To overcome fear...or to let it overcome us. Most of the time, it's not actually the situation or the object that that makes our hairs tingle and heart pound like hell, but it's the fear. It's the mindset that "You can't do it" or "You can't face it" that makes us apprehensive. It's a choice to feel that way. It's a choice to be scared, to be fearful. Everything you feel if what you choose to feel. Everything happening, to this very moment, rooted from a choice, in one way or another. It's a choice to be fearful, but it's a calling to be brave.

Know your fears, Know Thyself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...